Wednesday, March 14, 2007

March blues and the enchanted April

The month of March is really sucking. It's gray, rainy, depressing. I always get a little blue around February and March every year. I'm suddenly ready for warm sunshine, sandals, and just being outdoors.

So I picked up The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim this week to bring in a much-needed breath of fresh air. I read it about 10 years ago and just loved it. Last time I read it, I literally felt refreshed when I finished it.

It was written in the 1920's and set in that same time period. The author has a very light-hearted and often wry writing style. Like the movie, it's a very peaceful, fun, and soothing read. Also, it's nice to picture all that Italian sunshine, sea, and flowers. And I think it even qualifies as a kind of romance novel. Two of the main characters find romance once again within their own marriages - which is nice to see (especially for those of us who are married and have been for some time).

Of course, when I finish reading it, I'll probably be desperate to watch the movie, which isn't out on DVD yet :(

1 comment:

katybear said...

Found Enchanted April on vhs at my local library!!! You'd think I'd have thought of this already, being a librarian and all. duh.