Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Book Review: The Bride - by Julie Garwood


Synopsis: The Bride is the first in a two-part series of medieval romances by Julie Garwood. Jamie (aka: the Bride), a young Englishwoman, is forced into an arranged marriage to Highland laird Alec Kincaid. Alec has little use for a wife, but is honor-bound by his king to marry the girl. He's a stubborn lord used to giving orders and not getting any lip; she's an independent woman used to managing a household and thinking for herself. They spend 3/4 of the book arguing (and making up afterward), until the end when the real conflict surfaces.

When I write it out like that, it doesn't sound like much of a book, but honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The interaction between Jaimie and Alec is engaging and I found myself hanging on their every conversation and waiting to see what they would do next. Garwood's style is easy to follow and the dialogue is downright hilarious at times. I didn't really care all that much about the "plot" of the story, and I don't think the author does either. The romance and the interaction between the hero and heroine are what drives this story.
I mostly read historical regency romance, but I've read a number of medieval romances as well. I'm not such a big fan of medieval romances, though. It seems like so many medieval romances have a lot of scenes where the hero dominates the heroine in most every aspect of their relationship. Even if the heroine is depicted as "spirited" and strong-willed, it seems like she's always having to "learn a lesson" in respecting the hero's dominance. Sometimes, there are even a few quasi-rape scenes in these novels, which TOTALLY puts me off. I know that it was totally a male-dominated society back then, but I still like my romances with a little more give and take on BOTH sides - and a respect for each other's bodies.

The Bride didn't fall into that pitfall though. Alec doesn't ever try to dominate Jaimie physically (although he does occasionally want to throttle her for her outrageous behavior). Both the hero and the heroine spend a good deal of time overcoming their difficulties in communicating and their assumptions about what the other is feeling/thinking. I hope that the second book in this series, The Wedding, will be just as good.
My LibraryThing rating: 4 stars

No comments: